- 6 slices good quality bacon
- Homemade mayo with an added handful of chopped fresh basil OR French herb salad, including tarragon and with an emphasis on basil
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, thickly sliced
- 4 pieces good quality bread (I like bakery challah or crusty olive bread)
- Fruity olive oil
- If using basil mayo, 2 rib-in pieces of butter or romaine lettuce
Prepare bacon your preferred way: either fry in a skillet on the stove or bake on a rack placed over a parchment-lined baking sheet in a 400° oven until crispy, about 15 minutes.
While bacon cooks, make homemade mayo. Mix in a finely chopped handful of fresh basil. Alternatively, toss herbs together to make salad, being sure to include tarragon and with a heavy emphasis on basil. Dress salad to taste.
Toast bread slices and lightly brush two (these will be the bottoms of your two sandwiches) with olive oil or spread with basil mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
When bacon is crispy, remove from the heat and pat with paper towels to remove excess grease.
Lay down two bread slices, olive oil or mayo side up. Top with 3 slices bacon each, then divide tomato slices among the two. Lightly season tomato with salt and pepper. Top with basil-based herb salad or fresh lettuce and second slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy immediately.
Yield: 2 servings